The best mode of transportation to get around the Sacramento is by car. The city's roadways are well-developed and public transportation is served by an expansive bus service and light rail system. The downtown area of the city has plenty of attractions within walking distance to one another. Read on to know how to get in and around Sacramento-
Getting to Sacramento by Plane
Image by dreyfussblackford via http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11116621
The main airport in Sacramento is the Sacramento International Airport
, which is 15 minutes north of downtown along the I-5 at the exit of the Airport Boulevard. The service is available to all parts of the US, Mexico and Hawaii. Non-stop flights are available to New York City, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Washington D.C, Denver, Newark, Phoenix, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Portland, Dallas, Kansas City, Houston, Guadalajara, Minneapolis, and Seattle.
To and From Airport
There are several ways of getting to and from airport-
- Taxis: Taxis are available from the airport to downtown. The fare for one-way is $30.
- Bus: Yolobus offers bus service from airport to downtown. The service is offered on route 42 to Woodland, central Sacramento and Davis. It operates from 5:30am-10:20pm on weekdays and on weekends from 8:20am-10:20pm. The fare is $3.
- Shuttle: SuperShuttle offers an on-call service to Sacramento and other regions.
- Car rental: Many car rental companies operate at the airport. Some of them are Enterprise, Advantage, Thrifty, Alamo, Hertz, Avis, National, Budget, and more.
Getting to Sacramento by Train
operates two regional and two long-distance trains to and from Sacramento.
- The California Zephyr operates between San Francisco through Emeryville and Chicago.
- The Coast Starlight operates between Los Angeles and Seattle. It operates from Portland and Seattle through Sacramento to Oakland, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Jose, and Los Angeles.
- The Capitol Corridor operates between Bay Area and San Jose. It is regional train and the main stops are Richmond, Fremont, Martinez, Oakland, Berkeley and San Jose.
- The Sao Joaquins operates between the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California with main stops in Bakersfield, Stockton, and Fresno. It is a regional train.
Getting to Sacramento by Car
It is easy to travel to Sacramento by Car. Sacramento lies at junction of I-5, a north-south route and I-80, an east-west path. The city is at the U.S. Route 50 western terminus.
- If traveling from San Francisco Bay Area to Sacramento, take I- 80 east.
- From North Lake Tahoe and Reno to Sacramento, go for I-80 west.
- From South Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, go on U.S. Route 50 west.
- Traveling from the Pacific Northwest and Redding to Sacramento, take I-5 south
- From Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley to Sacramento, take I-5 north or State Route 99 north.
Find out the best hotels to stay in Sacramento!
Traveling to Sacramento by Bus
: It has a main center downtown and several satellite stations all around Sacramento.Megabus.com:
This express bus service runs to and from San Francisco and Reno to Sacramento.
Getting Around Sacramento
The best way to travel around Sacramento is by car. The city is convenient to navigate as the city has a grid system and the streets are lettered and numbered. The lettered street run west and east, and the numbered streets run south and north.
Getting Around Sacramento by Foot
The city has a grid system which makes it is easy to travel around by foot. It is easy to get to the riverfront, old Sacramento and the California State Railroad by foot as they are located within 5 minutes of walking distance from the train station.
Getting Around Sacramento by Bicycle
The city has bike routes and lanes. Bicycle is easy way to travel around the Midtown and Downtown Sacramento.
Getting Around Sacramento by Car
Car is the best way to get around Sacramento. The city has plenty of metered parking all round the city. In Sacramento, there are many car rental companies. Some of the car rental companies operating in Sacramento are as follows:
Address: 2700 Arden Way, Sacramento, CA 95825, United States
Phone: 1 916-486-9900
Avis Car Rental
Address: 901 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, United States
Phone: 1 916-446-2695
Hertz Rent A Car
Address: 1025 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, United States
Phone: 1 916-448-2228
Website: www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservationDollar Rent a Car
Address: 6327 Aviation Drive, Sacramento, CA 95837, United States
Phone: 1 866-434-2226
Website: www.dollar.com/Locations/gen.aspx?locationId=SMFBudget Car Rental
Address: 500 12th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, United States
Phone: 1 916-688-9114
Website: www.locations.budget.com/us/ca/sacramento/s3cAvis Car Rental
Address: 6520 McNair Cir, Sacramento, CA 95837, United States
Phone: 1 916-922-5601
Alamo Rent A Car
Address: 6320 McNair Circle, Sacramento, California 95837, United States
Phone: 1 916-576-3164
Website: www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/locations/location-details/US/SMFT71-sacramento-international-airportNational Car Rental
Address: Sacramento Int'l Airport People Mover, Sacramento, CA 95825, United States
Phone: 1 916-568-2415
Getting Around Sacramento by Public Transportation
Sacramento has 37 miles of light rail network. It also has an extensive bus service network that reaches out to 20 miles outside of the downtown region into the suburbs. It also offers Amtrak service to different destinations. Regional Transit offers light rail and bus service in Sacramento.
Getting Around Sacramento by Taxi
In Sacramento, it is easy to get a taxi. The City of Sacramento regulates the taxi meter fare. The standard taxi fare is $4.00 flag drop and for each extra mile the charge is $3.00; for waiting time, the charge is $28.00 per hour. Taxis at the airport have different charges. To know about the rates, Click Here
Some of the taxi companies operating in Sacramento are:
Sacramento Taxi Yellow Cab Co.
Address: 1257 Fulton Avenue #8, Sacramento, CA 95825, United States
Phone: 1 916-888-2222
Yellow Cab Of West Sacramento
Address: 721 N B Street, Sacramento, CA 95811, United States
Phone: 1 916-444-8844
Address: Folsom Estates, Sacramento, CA, United States
Phone: 1 916-441-5555
Website: www.americab.netCalifornia Co-op Cab
Address: 506 Glide Avenue, West Sacramento, CA 95691, United States
Phone: 1 916-444-7777
Website: www.californiacoopcab.comA-1 Cab Service Sacramento
Address: 620 5th Street #1, West Sacramento, CA 95605, United States
Phone: 1 916-801-9782BC Cab
Address: 1922 Naomi Way, Sacramento, CA 95815, United States
Phone: 1 916-265-2392
Website: www.taxicabssacramento.comNatomas Taxi & Airport Shuttle
Address: 2126 Sherington Way, Sacramento, CA 95835, United States
Phone: 1 916-992-4117
Website: www.jayscab.netAccess Taxi
Address: Sacramento, CA, United States
Phone: 1 916-444-8888
Website: www.accesstaxicabsacramento.comSacramento City Cab
Address: Sacramento, CA, United States
Phone: 1 916-604-1111
Map Guide of Getting Around in Sacramento